Thursday, September 29, 2011

Immigration debates on FIRE!

          Wow! I was reading through the Austin American Statesman, when I came across a commentary (Navarrete: In Need of an Honest Immigration debate) that just immediately brought my attention to some issues that I had been ignoring.  I think that Navarrete did an outstanding job in his argument because he recognized the truth in the Republicans as well as the Democrats, and mentioned their flaws as well. It just really seems to me that he saw the arguments from both sides and just inspected them from every angle. I feel that Navarrete's audience focus was on Hispanic voters, and in a sense enlightening us on the facts that we may not know. I am Hispanic, so everything he had to say I definitely connected to. He  did exactly what he intended to, which was to get Hispanics to want to engage in the political views in our government. Now I am normally not the kind of person that takes much interests in our government and how it works, but I am taking a lot of things into consideration that have been screaming for my attention lately, and my voting status this November will definitely reflect on it. Now as mentioned in this commentary every month 50,000 U.S. born Hispanics turn 18 and become eligible to vote. ( WOW! ) Navarrete's claim on how the Republican Party needed to tone down their regards towards immigration or then risk the possibility of loosing a large growing group of voters here in Texas just strikes me. I feel as if he is absolutely correct Hispanics are growing and could possibly be the majority here in Texas in like a decade, and as Navarrete mentioned, "The Republican Party had better hope these folks have short term memories & don't hold grudges towards those who tried to turn their parents into scapegoats." That's is just hilarious! Another point that got my attention was how it is mentioned by Canseco, "We have a broken system because we have wanted it broken." That phrase just reminded me of the Texas Constitution and how it remains the same way even though it has a lot of proof reading errors. Now i know they are two different topics, but gosh does it just make me wonder how it all may just connect to one another.
          Now everyone has their different opinions on immigration, but in my view Navarrete did a fabulous job in his claim, evidence, and logic. I most definitely agree with Navarrete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment